Managing Mental Health in the Workplace
Mental Health at Work Consulting
Corporate Mentality are dedicated to helping West Midlands & Black Country based SME’s manage mental health at work issues.
We offer expertise in Mental Healthcare Management, Corporate Governance, Health & Safety as well as the provision of high quality Training and support and can help your business manage all aspects of mental health at work.
The Facts About Work Related Stress…
The latest estimates (2016) from the Labour Force Survey (LFS – Office of National Statistics) show:
- The total number of cases of work related stress, depression or anxiety in 2015/16 was 488,000 cases, a prevalence rate of 1510 per 100,000 workers. (1.51%)
- The number of new cases was 224,000, an incidence rate of 690 per 100,000 workers. (0.7%)
- The total number of working days lost due to this condition in 2015/16 was 11.7 million days. This equated to an average of 23.9 days lost per case.
- In 2015/16 stress accounted for 37% of all work related ill health cases and 45% of all working days lost due to ill health.
- Stress is more prevalent in public service industries, such as education; health and social care; and public administration and defence.
- By occupation, jobs that are common across public service industries (such as healthcare workers; teaching professionals; business, media and public service professionals) show higher levels of stress as compared to all jobs.
- The main work factors cited by respondents as causing work related stress, depression or anxiety (LFS) were workload pressures, including tight deadlines and too much responsibility and a lack of managerial support.
The Case for Managing Mental Health at Work
Tackling work related stress should not just be seen as a legal obligation; there are also a range of other benefits, including:
* Reduced cost of absence, including sick pay, sickness cover, overtime and recruitment *
* Improved workplace morale, better working relationships and increased employee satisfaction *
* Increased productivity, through employees being healthier, happier and better motivated *
* Protection from reputation being damaged or the financial costs of prosecution or litigation *
Our Core Services
Copyright & Statistical Information
This website contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence.