Control of Work
Control (lack of) of one’s job is a cause of work related stress
Control within the management standards is defined as:
‘How much say the person has in the way they do their work’.
The standard is that:
Employees indicate that they are able to have a say about the way they do their work and that the appropriate systems are in place locally to respond to any individual concerns.
Meeting the Standards Means That:
- Where possible, employees have control over their pace of work
- Employees are encouraged to use their skills and initiative to do their work
- Where possible, employees are encouraged to develop new skills to help them undertake new and challenging pieces of work
- The organisation encourages employees to develop their skills
- Employees have a say over when breaks can be taken
- Employees are consulted over their work patterns
When the employees ability to have any influence over how their job is performed is minimal, and they are essentially simply required to ‘do as they are told’, then there is an increased chance that work related stress may occur due to the task being regarded as menial.
Managing Mental Health at Work Consulting Services
If you want to adopt the very latest 'Thriving at Work' Government initiative and would like some help implementing the Mental Health Core Standards or the HSE Management Standards in your business then Corporate Mentality can help.
We offer multi-disciplinary expert help through our core delivery team, including expertise in:
- Corporate Governance - Paul has experience as a senior director in several local SME's.
- A thorough understanding of business leadership & management
- NEBOSH NGC Level 3 Health & Safety certification - Paul Lee is a qualified Health & Safety Technician & Psychologist.
- PhD. Level counselling psychology certification - Dr. Justina Somal plays a central role in ensuring all programmes are fit for purpose.
We are able to undertake risk assessments for mental health at work & work related stress as well as make a general gap-analysis of where your company 'is' in terms of internal structures, policies and deployment of the standards.
- Mental Health Risk Assessments (Mental Health at Work)
- Mental Health at Work Policy Development
- HSE Management Standards Analysis & Deployment
- Mental Health Cores Standards Analysis & Deployment
- Mental Health Awareness training
- Resilient Minds Training Course (both in-house and off-site)
- Employee Assistance Programmes
- Counselling services
If you'd like to find out more, or arrange for any of our mental health at work services, then please contact us:
Mobile: 07434 776125
Yew Tree Court
Approved provider of Stress Management & Resilience training services to Sandwell & West Birmingham NHS Clinical Commissioning Group .
Copyright & Statistical Information
This website contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence.